Wednesday, May 24, 2006

the stars align

Hey! I left my keys in the lock of my car overnight and no one stole it! I am a lucky bastard! (most of the time)

-----------

"On the weekend of May 20 and 21, spend some time alone because you will be vulnerable to accidents and anger." ~ Virgo horoscope

If only I had read it...or cared. This weekend was definitely a rollercoaster, the kind that bangs you around making your head throb and your stomach heave, culminating in spectacular digestive pyrotechnics that offend all people within a two mile radius due to the overwhelming smell of half digested hotdogs and cotton candy.

Shall we begin with Saturday?
Original plans: help the boy pack, go to Book Expo, hang with Milkweedians (those who work at Milkweed, the largest non-profit literary press where I previously interned)
What really happened: help the boy pack, car break down, argue with boy while waiting three hours for tow truck, tow truck ride of life, not hang with Milkweedians, discover that none of the lights in my room work

And Sunday?
Original plans: go to Book Expo, hang with Milkweedians, go to Nats game
What really happened: can't get in Book Expo, get thrown out of Book Expo, not hang with Milkweedians, go to Nats game

Monday!
Original plans: get lights fixed, go to Jeopardy audition, kick ass at Jeopardy audition, work, soccer, sleep
What really happened: All of that plus some quality time with the roomies and the boy! (Oh except I went for a long run instead of soccer)

I've spared you the details because two good stories came out of this. I shall try to do them justice but just remember I have little experience with fiction, particularly character studies. (to be posted later after I have actually written them and edited them to death. Hints: One will be about the tow truck driver and the other will be about super spydom/getting kicked out of the Book Expo)

-----------
And in case you're interested, my official Jeopardy factoids are.... (drum roll please).......

1. I once got lost in Switzerland and the only words that I could remember from the German language tapes were "listen" and "repeat"
2. I have always wanted to be voice talent for cartoons
3. I've been canoeing in a snow storm.
4. I'm a published author and photographer.
5. I hike to the hightest point of DC every day.

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...