Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Peace Corps doesn´t allow prosletyzing

So this may be the direct result of working with an Adventist organization who start the day with a prayer but I thought I would share the following with y´all. I thought it was inspirational and directly related to my current experiences.

St. Theresa's Prayer
May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us.

-----------

Otherwise, today I met the director and teachers at a nearby school and was given some tasks to complete in their schoolyard garden, and relating to garbage disposal. I also went to the Distrital Educativa but the Director, like everyone else in my town, went to the campo. Tomorrow I, like everyone else in my town, am going to the campo to meet some more teachers and see what sort of programs my organization has set up there. I´m actually quite excited about this because my lack of transportation has prevented me from working where I´m really needed.

That is one of the things about my Peace Corps experience thus far (three weeks) that bothers me. I for one am not working with people who really need help (that I´ve discovered). I do realize that I have the benefit of an American education that has allowed me certain experiences and advantages that I can use to help people here. Things that I don´t even think about such as experiential education, different perspectives, view towards women etc. But I was kind of expecting a stereotypical campo experience, with no electricity or water, where little children follow me around all day, huge and exotic insects, and I have to explain my prescence every few minutes.

Instead I have electricity (unless they´re bloqeo-ing) and water (before 7PM) in a pretty well-off town of 3000 with several other gringos. And every few weekends I can go to the only five star hotel in Bolivia and eat and swim to my heart´s content. Although in my hotel (not the five star one) there was the largest spider I have ever seen. I got someone else to kill it but he only succeeded in amputating three legs. The rest of the spider was nowhere to be found, a situation I was not satisfied with. I changed rooms.

I´m not sure I can explain how my expectations and experiences compare.

----------

If anyone cares I have not shaved my legs in three weeks and unfortunately my genes have conspired to give me Jewish leg hair on Irish legs which as of yet doesn´t grow in the same direction. I am not feeling empowed by my defiance of American ideals of beauty. Simply hairy.

Also whoever stole my flipflops I will hunt you down.

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...