Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My duff. And how it was sat upon.

During training I made the mistake of telling the country director that "sitting in my room reading all day" might be an impediment to me integrating into my community and getting work done. He referenced this about thirty times after that. But yesterday I did indeed hold my second day of room-sitting. I just needed to. This weekend I got no sleep nor relaxation because...get this...there was an auto race in my town. Twenty pimped-out, really friggin loud, formula one cars racing around my town for two days. Some of the drivers even had the overwhelming courtesy to drive their cars (really friggin loud cars may I remind you) at 3AM. No joke.

Monday I held my first official workshop with 18 profes on trash games. It was suprisingly exhausting yet exhilirating (how do you spell that?) to spend an hour and a half trying to be somewhat comprehensible in Español. My compañero asked me if I was nervous...but really I was just excited to do it. I hope it went over well. The profes seemed oddly impressed by my crafts made from trash...wallet out of wine box, handwashing station out of bottles, candelabra out of tin can. That last one I was especially surprised about. I mean I stuck a candle in a tuna can (with gum!) so it wouldn´t fall over and burn my house down. Not that creative.

So anywho yesterday I needed a break..and really had nothing to do. So I hid in my room making the best ever tomato soup (anyone have an tips on seed removal?), folding my laundry, sucking down "Glue" by Irvine Welsh, and playing with the cutest kittens ever.
<-----Los gatitos <-----Room with a view
I did try to get something accomplished by visiting the Director Distrital to plan our visits to two more schools but he´s out of town. I also went to the vivero (tree nursery) to meet with the viverista but he also wasn´t there. Some guys from the mayor´s office showed up looking for him too, so we drove around town to find him...without sucess. During this driving time I was invited out to get drunk with one of the guys from the mayor´s office. I not so politely declined. I wound up back at the office and got sucked into talking to the big bad boss about the town´s green spaces project....which I´m apparently going to be helping out with. Unfortunately I was having one of theose "moments of complete incomprehension" which happen when I can´t think in Spanish and make an idiot of myself.

And tomorrow is the desfile! Apparently, if I understood correctly, we´re marching in the parade in "appropriate clothing." Vamos a ver.

-----------
I´ve decide to add a new category to TILHAABIB called thingsIwillneverunderstand about Bolivia. I won´t be changing the acronym though because as of right now it just rolls off the tongue. Anyhoo, I won´t ever understand why people wash their sidewalks.

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...