Wednesday, June 24, 2020

San Francisco - The Rock

In a rare moment of planning and forethought, I had reserved tickets for the boat to Alcatraz in advance. So day two in San Francisco I moseyed over to the piers for my prison tour. I was probably the only person to go alone - so I skipped the photo opportunity on the ferry.

Alcatraz was an active prison between 1934 and 1963. It was considered a last resort for the worst of the worst criminals - which struck me as interesting because many of the inmates were gangsters and bank-robbers that we have since glorified and made famous.

The display at the Visitor Center highlighted that the island sits on the original homeland of the Ohlone people. In 1964 and 1969, indigenous groups from all over the United States re-occupied their land for three years. According to the National Park Service, "During the period the occupiers were on Alcatraz Island, President Nixon returned Blue Lake and 48.000 acres of land to the Taos Indians. Occupied lands near Davis California would become home to a Native American university. The occupation of Bureau of Indian Affairs offices in Washington, D.C. would lead to the hiring of Native Americans to work in the federal agency that had such a great effect on their lives."




Yes most of my photos were of plants. Upon returning to San Fran proper, I got a traditional clam chowder in a sourdough bowl and then hiked up Lombard St. (It is not as exciting walking as it would be driving but I was just pleased that I didn't hurl.) Then I trolleyed my way back downtown where I had a drink alone in the hotel bar.

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...