Sunday, June 28, 2020

Hawaii - one last arboretum

My last day in Hawaii was also sans Sika as she had an early morning flight. I figured I could drop her off at the airport and drive back to some of the scenic bits we passed (and maybe get in some snorkeling) before returning the car and meeting up with my buddy Sarah. So after a blessedly silent drive to the airport (Sika is also not a morning person.) I headed to Haunama Bay. The neat thing about getting there before dawn is you don't have to pay for parking OR the entry fee AND you get to see a sweet sunrise.





Unfortunately, the snorkel shop didn't open until 8 and the car had to be returned at 9 (and a two hour car extension which would have given me at least an hour of snorkel time cost the same as a whole extra day of rental. Can't say I didn't try.) I also missed surfing with Sarah but the early morning beach walk seemed worth it because Sarah and I got to meet up for a delicious Hawaiian style (but vegetarian) bento breakfast at Kaimana Farm Cafe and brief jaunt to Lyon Arboretum.

The Arboretum, according to their website, houses more than 19,300 individual plants representing some 6,200 taxa, especially heliconias, gingers, aroids, figs, and one of the world’s largest palm collections. We spent most of our time hiking around looking for "the scenic overlook" which didn't really overlook that much.





Sarah indulged me in getting caffeinated (because even one week in I remained jetlagged) and taking me somewhere to buy individually wrapped foods for my friends and colleagues (which in a Covid-world I wound up eating myself). Then we chilled on Waimanolo beach before heading to the airport where I absconded with Sarah's umbrella.


I will note that I have never gone straight from the beach to the airport so I had to seriously recombobulate myself in the bathroom...before flying home to an unending work from home situation and not-quite-crushing anxiety...before moving to Seattle for a new and different work from home and not-quite-crushing anxiety situation. I am endlessly grateful to Sika for suggesting this break and we definitely lucked out (perhaps through early adoption of physical distancing, avoiding buffets, and Purell-ing ourselves into oblivion.) Can't wait for the next adventure!

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...