Monday, December 12, 2016

Nepal postscript

Upon returning home from Nepal I got together with my friend Ben to compare notes. He had some hilariously effective solutions to the ever-present gringo-pricing dilemma that I faced. Here are his recommended haggling techniques:

  • Go into a store and tell them you're a wholesaler. See if they can give you a good deal on a thousand scarves or twenty thangka at once.
  • Ask for something plainly not in the store. Say, " I would pay anything for a ______."
  • When waiting for an airport cab tell them that you will pay $4 and whoever catches you gets the fare. Start walking.
  • Just wait. You have all the time in the world for a $5 sweater. Wait and wait.
Let me know if you try any of these ideas or your own tried and true solutions!



No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...