Monday, December 12, 2016

Nepal - Kathmandu valley - Dhulikel to Nagarkot

The next morning I woke up to a distinct lack of beautiful mountain views but some pretty considerable fog in which I enjoy my first cup of tea.

As we set out I reflected that I lucked out in my selection of guide and porter and I hope they feel that they've lucked out with me: perfectly ok with companionable silence and not whining despite having three of the largest blisters known to man. (My guide is missing an entire toenail and hiking in sandals so he gets it.)

All day we hiked up goat paths and through people's yards, stopping for tea, and chilling with the kidlets. I was not super hungry all day and this was frustrating to everyone. Nothing much "happened' but it was a lovely gimpy day.

A swing of sorts in a tiny village. The guy in blue is my guide Fulla. Note his sandals.
Our trekking route.

Tea shop. Will I get parasites?



Hiking back down to Nagarkot through glades of pine trees.

A gravity station.  Google says "the observation tower and fundamental geodetic stations within the premises was misused by the picnic-goers from Kathmandu city and it was converted into merry making place, especially on Saturdays." I can vouch for that. Makeout central

At this house we were beset upon by women selling small trinkets.
If I gave you coin purse for Christmas, know that it was purchased here.

Traditional process for making rice wine. It did not look particularly hygienic and gave me insight into why "I died" in Bhutan"

Marigolds and mustard!

A small hillside temple as we came into Nagarkot



That evening, after five cups of tea in one day I ordered a hot cocoa just to be contrary. And although I still wasn't eating much, the same can't be said about the mouse in my room who destroyed all of my granola bars. And spoiler alert: the sunrise view of the Himalayas was another morning of stunning fog.


No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...