Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Irony

As defined by Wikipedia: Irony is a form of speech in which the real meaning is concealed or contradicted by the words used. Irony involves the perception that things are not what they are said to be or what they seem. Dramatic irony lies in the audience's deeper perceptions of a coming fate, which contrast with a character's lack of knowledge about said fate. A common metaphor for using irony is to "have your tongue in cheek".

Interesting. I would have used "tongue in cheek" as a definition for "facetious." But that interpretation of it is very hipster, as is the obsession with Wiki.

Merriam Webster: (1) a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony (2) the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning; a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony; an ironic expression or utterance (3) incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result; an event or result marked by such incongruity; incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

Ironically, Princeton defines "facetious" as "tongue in cheek."

Today I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said "Warning: New Jersey Driver." As a New Yorker moving down to Maryland, I was particularly horrified by the quality of driving. Apparently, the residents of "the free state" take freedom to all new levels. So, the bumper sticker, ironic or facetious eh?

-----------
Ironically, I started this blog as a forum to rant, rave, and froth (just a bit). My lack of readership allowed plenty of anonymous opportunity for such. But I didn't really froth much. Now, with an increased readership (every little blogger's dream), even if only friends and family, I am more constained in sentiment. Or I feel I have to be. But I don't wanna! I need to rant! Ah well, there's always my journal. Pen and paper! Rock on!

-----------
Guess what!
Chicken butt!
I got a follow-up audition for Jeopardy! (shout out to Shimon for helping me cheat...I mean cram) I am taking my talent for useless knowledge on the road!
And I'm published once again! (link to follow post-embargo)
And free cone day at Ben and Jerry's is coming up!
And my Spanish class starts tomorrow!
And the new intern looks like Kevin McDonald from Kids in the Hall! (Really, this is a good/funny thing). I'm just waiting for him to cross-dress.
And yet I'm oddly cranky! Is it possible to have SAD in Spring? Or Post-menstrual syndrome? I should be used to inexplicable Lenni-funks. I'll just read "Goodnight Mr. Tom" for the gazillionth time, cry my eyes out, and be all better in a few days.

And that's all the news. (insert appropriate SNL-like sign-off here).

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...