Monday, October 14, 2013

Vivita y coleando

Survived first week in Nicaragua! Highlights include several spectacular thunder storms, the CRS driver trying to teach me how to get to work and back by taking a different way each time (so not helpful initially), my first gallo pinto, indio viejo, chicha, cerveza victoria and a very misquided crema de queso, being grilled about my marital status, physical therapy with little old ladies (which I don't have the vocabulary for), making sense of some screwy data (just like my summer research!), discovering that I can stream my favorite old telenovelas (like Victoria) on Netflix, and getting yet another t-shirt with a tree on it at the chocolate forum.

I am currently working on a few backlogged stories like my bus-riding adventures in New Haven (no one let me sit! and they were dealing drugs! and the bus driver stopped to yell at all of us!), and the world as seen by a sandwich half-eaten by Justin Bieber. In the meantime check out Matthew and Melissa's adventures as they drive from Guatemala to Peru. They hung out at my house for a week and made spectacular lasagna and apple cake despite a blackout and small flood in my living room.

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...