Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Haiti: of swollen ankles and border crossings

On Thursday March 7 I woke from a vivid malaria-meds-induced dream at 4:45am to find that I had somehow hurt my ankle and also forgotten to pack undies or socks. I hobbled around throwing things in my duffel and set out to meet the rest of the class. Our flight was at 10 but Papa Gordon, as we dubbed our professor for his good natured and fatherly concern, was worried that we would encounter traffic or other unseen barriers like flooding, tornadoes and/or aliens between New Haven and NYC. We didn’t. We arrived bright and shiny to have about 4 hours to kill in the airport. I spent it well, having a Skype interview with a Bolivian NGO for whom I am now working. The flight was normal (I was squooshed in the middle) although there was a palpable excitement among the Haitians to be returning to their beloved country. I’ve never encountered anything quite like it.

We were warned that the airport would be complete chaos and indeed it was. Upon landing we were shepherded to a bus packed to the gills and driven to the terminal where we were greeted by a brass band. Despite having memorized the Kreyol answers to “Vacation or business? How many days? Where are you staying” I forgot them and the customs officer just waved me through. I then set out to find my luggage and was somewhat nervous when I couldn’t. However, before leaving New Haven we had tied pink ribbons to all our luggage and some enterprising young Haitian had gathered it…including some suitcases that although adorned with ribbons were not actually from our group. In a country with such few opportunities and high unemployment, people work however they can; I’m sure we each could have had three men carry our baggage out to our waiting bus. On the bus I was super excited to see our fellow students who had arrived earlier or traveled through the Dominican Republic especially Narita, my partner in crime, who had one of those border crossing stories that become cocktail party favorites. If we grad students had cocktail parties she could spin a yarn involving a stolen cement truck, a blockade, three people and luggage on a motorcycle, and arguing and bribing her way into Haiti.

The bus reminded me a bit of Harry Potter’s Knight Bus. Careening around the streets of Port au Prince, passing slower moving vehicles (or attempting to), with 23 backseat drivers the bus headed north to Deschappelles’s Kay Haiti  where we dined upon the spiciest rice and beans known to man and free beer. Wafting through the air were the familiar smells of burning garbage and dust. (Dust by the way is classified by many Peace Corps volunteers as the fifth food group and I think it has a very distinctive smell that I associate with dry often-developing countries but I wonder if Arizona smells similar.)
















By this point both my ankles are swollen which I attribute to serious water retention issues.

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...