Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Bolivian interlude

Although I left off in the middle of my Spanish vacation (not like I've written more about it) I wanted to share some photos my friend Chela sent me yesterday. She just magically knows when I'm wistfully reminiscing about the simultaneously frustrating and inspiring country of Bolivia and the simultaneously frustrating and inspiring people that inhabit it.

Peace Corps was a constant state of confusion and misunderstanding, and it was in that state that I first met Chela. It all began when my friend Jimmy asked me two questions: "You like kids right?" (yes) "Do you know how to make puppets?" (yes). I didn't have time to wonder about this strange line of questioning when he pulled me out of my house and down the street to introduce me to Pedro and Gloria with, "This is Jelen. She can make puppets." And off he ran to catch a bus as Pedro and Gloria led me to their friend's house as if this was completely expected. (It may have been. As an American I am not completely fluent in the subtle, indirect and often non-verbal communication that happens in other countries. Kind of like in the mid-west.)

So a short time later I was sitting in a stranger's living room (Chela's) making a papier mache Jesus head. I soon realized that my new buddies ran Oratorio (defined by Wikipedia as place for at-risk youth to explore their intellectual and spiritual development in the spirit of Don Bosco) and I was welcome to help out. At first I just showed up to meet the kids and drink milk with sugar. Soon I was leading activities and expanding my repertoire of ice-breakers and camp songs....but this time in Spanish. I had plenty of adventures with Gloria, Pedro, Chela, Fatima, and the kidlets who participated. They ranged from the usual --birthday parties, hikes, visits to the sick, and lots of singing-- to the odd --a wake, singing about Jesus in front of 100 high schoolers, and giving vaccinations.

So you can imagine that an update on these kids brightened my day and I'd like to introduce you to them:


This is Vero. She and her brother Jhonny practically lived at my house. We played millions of games of war and she always forgot to take my food scraps home for the pigs. Like a good big sister she teased her little brother constantly but she would beat up anyone else who made fun of him. I hesitate to admit that we hung out so often because their mother was the woman who supported my Oreo habit.


Meet Edson. This is the boy who used to stand outside my house every Sunday at 7AM singing "Ojos de cielo" at the top of his lungs until I stumbled downstairs. Generally I would feed him and we would mosey to the plaza where we would gossip about all the middle school happenings. He was that friend that every Peace Corps volunteer needs: 11 years old, patient, who will explain words to you and try not to laugh when you sound like an idiot.


These are all the kidlets and Fatima. I'm not sure how many I could name now. Please note the non-smiling faces as is typical in a Bolivian foto.


All of the kidlets and Gloria. And yes it was usually all girls. Probably for the best.And to end...one of our favorite activities. The tobogan!

No comments:

Whidbey Island New Years Eve bash

On the morning of our New Years Eve visit to Whidbey Island, my friend texted, “Are you sure you still want to go? It’s going to rain.” But ...